MySQLdb build on Solaris 7

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Wed Feb 20 15:33:14 EST 2002

Asim Beg wrote:
> Frankly, I am surprised (shocked...) to find that an
> important package such as MySQLdb for python would
> not compile on Solaris...

Let's get some perspective here.  MySQLdb python has compiled
and is running on thousands of Solaris machines ... just not
yours <0.5 wink> -- yet.

Further questions:

1. What is in your LD_LIBRARY path?

2. Which version of the MySQL server is running
on your Solaris machine?

3. Did you install MySQL database server on the
machine or did the admin?  If the latter, did they
compile it on the machine or install a binary
distribution (which might result in a version
mismatch)?

And one suggestion:  If all else fails you might
consider compiling a local MySQL server from the
sources -- producing the libs relative to your home
directory -- and then building the MySQLdb python
interface against those libs --- then testing your
setup your local MySQL server.

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon Research