High-level languages, large projects, GNOME and the .NET controversy

Thomas Guettler st-newsgroups at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Feb 8 04:55:51 EST 2002

Paul Boddie wrote:

> Slightly off-topic, but the recent controversy stirred up by Miguel de
> Icaza and Richard Stallman on the future of GNOME and its relation to
> .NET technologies produced an interesting response:
>
>   http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/02/06/1536255&mode=nocomment
>
> Here's the relevant section:

[cut]

Would be nice to use perl libraries in python. But I think that can
be done easier without CIL (Common Intermediate Language. AFAIK somthing
like bytecode in java or .pyc).

Would be nice to have the intellisence (dropdown-list if you type
object.) of the Visual Studio. Is there already something like this?

Would be nice to have a component architecture which allows
plug-and-play usage of things like e.g. html-editor. On the shell level
integration is easy. Just use popen(), but with GUIs it is more difficult.

thomas