Why Python is like BASIC (and why this is a good thing)

David Lees debl2NoNoSpammyKwhammy at bellatlantic.net
Sun Feb 17 17:46:52 EST 2002

I have read through this thread and have a few historical comments on
BASIC.
First, the original BASIC circa 1964, which ran on a GE-235 based time
sharing system
was compiled, not interpreted.  So was its successor which ran on a
GE-635 about 2 years
later.  It was a very fast compiler, so that it had the feel of an
interpreter,
but the execution time was better than the interpreters of the day.  It
was much later,
70's I guess, that DEC and later Mr. Gates created interpreted versions
of BASIC.

Second, BASIC was intended from the very start (by Kurtz and Kemeney, it
inventor)
to be used as a teaching language for everyone; College students and
high schools students
In fact if my failing memory serves :) they had an NSF grant which put
those old ASR-33
and KSR-35 teletypes online at high schools using the old 110 baud
acoustic modems.
I have noticed (purely subjective) that people trained in computer
science
tend to look down at BASIC.  If the quote from Edsger Dijkstra is real,
it just
confirms some of the snottyness by CS types. Dartmouth had a time-shared
version of
Algol-60 also available, which was not used particularily heavily.

Third, as pointed out in this thread, BASIC has been wildly successful
if judged by
usage.  It replaced FORTRAN (or was it FORTRAN II, I forget) for
teaching computer
literacy to Dartmouth undergrads.

Fourth (not a pun) little piece of historical trivia.  The original
BASIC evolved as a language and splintered
all over the place.  One of the excellent things I see in Python is the
tight control
of the language evolution.  In the year that I have been intermittently
using Python
I have seen nice improvements in the language, but it is great to see
public discussion
and thought about what will break when changes are made.

Enough rambling.

David Lees