Why Python is like BASIC (and why this is a good thing)

Justin Sheehy justin at iago.org
Tue Feb 19 13:32:44 EST 2002

"Gillou" <nospam at bigfoot.com> writes:

>>   Instead, we could make make two Python
>>   distributions, a "full" install containing everything and a "lite"
>>   install containing only the interpreter and maybe -- *maybe* -- a
>>   couple of essential modules like os and sys. Then people developing
>>   Python programs like, say, a pygame-based game, could distribute a
>>   single package containing the "Python lite" distribution, their own
>>   code, and any other modules their code depended on -- all in one
>>   easy-for-the-end-used-to-install package.
>
> And when downloading another one he gets the python interpreter again, and a
> new copy of some packages...
> No, Python deserves a dedicated RPMfind  like utility that manages
> dependencies (OS, python version, required modules...).
> This would be a really great extension for distutils.

A standard or easily-available "lite" distribution would be far better
for use in applications.  Having the application use its own copy of
the runtime system is a big win for reliability, as the application
programmer can be sure that the application is running on exactly the
same version/build of Python that they tested with.

-Justin