Mailing system for niceguys

Ragnvald Larsen ragnvald at captech.no
Thu Feb 21 06:00:39 EST 2002

We have made an OpenSource system for hiking information (1). It is
currently used by the Norwegian Hikers Association (2) with a total of
190.000 members. The system is currently in ASP (IIS) and the database is
MSSQL. As we during this summer/fall we will convert the system to PHP and
possibly PostgreSQL we are now interested in finding platform neutral
solutions for the further development.

In the further development of our intranet we would like to be able to send
the users individual updates on changes in the system. The system now has
4-500 users (local board members, volunteers, employees etc...) Today this
functionality is available online for the users. We do have some thoughts on
monthly newsletters etc. Perhaps even to interested members.

A script (in Python perhaps?) should get the appropriate information from
the database and que it up for mailing, and subsequent mailing (timed
event - every monday, month, etc...). I am aware of libraries for databases
and emails in Python. The system should be possible to run on a Windows 2000
server with Python, PHP and ASP. Transfer to Linux/PostgreSQL should be
possible.

Somebody probably already made this or a similar Python based system. Links
or other information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ragnvald Larsen
Chief developer Sherpa OpenSource

1) http://sherpa.sourceforge.net