grammar question

Nick Collier nick.collier at verizon.net
Tue Feb 26 09:39:17 EST 2002

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:25:28 -0500, Fernando Pereira
<pereira at cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

>On 2/26/02 4:32 AM, in article m3pu2sfv0m.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de,
>"Martin v. Loewis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>
>> Nick Collier <nick at src.uchicago.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Anyway, I thought that the Python grammar was LL(1) compliant and
>>> yet when I translate the grammar into the Coco/R LL(1) parser
>>> generator I get lots of errors like:
>>
>> [...]
>>> Where X and Y are productions such as arglist, etc.
>>
>> My guess is that your translation into Coco/R is incorrect. I cannot
>> spot any ambiguity in arglist. Considering
>>
>> arglist: (argument ',')* (argument [',']| '*' test [',' '**' test] | '**'
>> test)
>>
>> it may be that, given "argument "," argument ","', it finds itself
>> incapable of determining whether this is the second argument belongs
>> to the first subexpression or the second one.
>
>This production cannot be disambiguated top-down with *any* lookahead, for
>the reason you suggest. Thus, it doesn't seem Python's grammar is LL(1). In
>general, languages with infix operators and complex nested structures like
>lists are not LL(k), because a parser can only decide the role of a
>subexpression after it sees the operator or terminator that follows it. But
>such languages are easily parsed bottom-up (shift-reduce) with bounded
>lookahead. That rule (in context) can be disambiguated bottom-up with two
>tokens of lookahead: once an 'argument" is parsed and pushed onto the
>shift-reduce stack and a "," is found, if the next token is ")" then the top
>of the stack is the second occurrence of "argument", otherwise it's the
>first.

I now have access to the actual error message and seems as if the
problem is with argument. So the error messages look like:

  LL1 warning in argument: NAME is  start & successor of deletable
structure
  LL1 warning in argument: NUMBER is  start & successor of deletable
structure
  LL1 warning in argument: STRING is  start & successor of deletable
structure
  LL1 warning in argument: LPAR is  start & successor of deletable
structure
  LL1 warning in argument: LSQB is  start & successor of deletable
structure
  LL1 warning in argument: PLUS is  start & successor of deletable
structure
  LL1 warning in argument: MINUS is  start & successor of deletable
structure
  LL1 warning in argument: BACKQUOTE is  start & successor of
deletable structure

The same errors are repeated in arglist, picking up on the errors from
argument.  Coco\R does create a parser here, so I guess I'm whether it
will work, after all the python one certainly works!

thanks,

Nick