importing dlls with python

Trevor Keon tkeon0 at netscape.net
Tue Feb 19 23:29:07 EST 2002

Hi, I am new to Python, and was wondering if it was possible to import
dlls written in Delphi 5?  I have tried a number of methods to make it
work, and I either get:

An illegal operation in windows,

or:

dynamic module does not define init function (initxxx),

where xxx is the dll name.  Now in the dll I have added a initxxx
function that returns an int, and have also tried returning a boolean
(also tried using a procedure, same result).  When I export the
initxxx function I get the illegal operation.  For those who are
familiar with Delphi:

function initxxx: Integer;  StdCall;
  export;

function initxxx: Integer;
begin
end;

And in the project file:

export
  initxxx;

  If I do not have the export in the project file then I get the
second error (no init function).  Can anyone help me here?  Or does
anyone know another script language that can call dlls easily?  I have
already looked at Tcl and Perl, but none of them seem feasible.

Thanks in advance,

Trevor