RFC -- HYGIENIC MACROS IN PYTHON

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 12:32:25 EST 2002

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:22:09 GMT, Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> wrote:

>>>That's non hygienic behavior.
>
>>And what if I decide that for my particular application, that's just
>>the behaviour I want? Or do you think that you know better than all
>>the users of your macro system, even though you've not met them and don't
>>know anything about the software they are writing?
>
>Well, since one has to go through hoops to make a macro hygienic,
>it's not hard at all to make them unhygienic. The plan is for hygiene
>because this is generally regarded as a best practice by the community.
>Which is to say, this as a default is regarded as what is most likely
>to service _everyone_ best, allowing for exceptions of course.
>
>You say "that you think you know better" as a scathing remark

I apologize for the tone of my previous remark.

It's just that being forced -- "for my own good" -- not to use certain
features because someone has decreed them intrinsically bad, doesn't
appeal to me at all.

--
===== Philip Hunt ===== philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk =====
Herbivore, a zero-effort email encryption system. Details at: