Perhaps I am just dumb

wooks wookiz at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 03:34:45 EST 2002

Sheila King <usenet at thinkspot.net> wrote in message news:<a43due.3vv9a5r.1 at kserver.org>...

> I think Python is extremely appropriate for your needs. The problem is,
> you are trying to jump straight into high-level stuff like that before
> you are really comfortable with the language itself.

Perhaps it more to do with the book. The approach I am taking now is
exactly how I painlessly learnt VBScript - using books with a WSH COM
bias. Most VBScript tomes have a  client side scripting bias that is
not relevant to my needs. Anyway as per below I have been using
tutorials as well.

> I recommend:
> (1) The Python tutorial that comes with the standard distribution:
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

Rereading it at the moment.

> (2) Core Python Programming by Wesley Chun
> (not for beginning programmers...aimed at someone with some programming
> experience...addresses the OO points and many features of the language
> quite well)

Yes. Thats the one that all the reviews seem to point to. If I
remember rightly the copy in the bookshop I went to was rather dated.
Will investigate further.

> (3) For an advanced online tutorial, try Dive Into Python:
> http://diveintopython.org/

Thats where I started. Have read bits of it twice (skipped the HTML
and XML bits). Probably will need to read it again.