Adding static typing to Python

Jason Orendorff jason at jorendorff.com
Tue Feb 19 12:43:14 EST 2002

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Courageous wrote:
> > One of the things I like about C sharp is their use of attributes,
>
> Just curious, isn't there something quite similar to what you describe in
> py2.2? I've only glanced at it so I could be wrong...

Yes.

import re

class Frob(object):
    def get_name(self):
        return self.__name

    def set_name(self, name):
        if re.match('^\w+$', name) is None:
            raise ValueError("Frob.name may only contain name characters")
        self.__name = name

    name = property(get_name, set_name, None,
                    """ The Frob's canonical given name """)

Guido hints there may be some syntactic sugar for this
in an upcoming version.

## Jason Orendorff    http://www.jorendorff.com/