Developing a GUI program like BOIDS

Wayne Pierce wayne at mishre.com
Tue Feb 12 15:11:25 EST 2002

What is your target platform?

If you are only working with Windows, you can use MFC (sorry, had to put
that in there...).  There is a list at Cameron Laird's site[1], I don't
know how current it is though

I typically use Qt for most of my development then if necessary use
Gordon McMillan's Installer[2] to package it up.  I've also seen
reference to AnyGUI[3], which aims to allow you to program to any GUI
with a common API (..at least that's what I think it does..).  I haven't
tried it yet though.

There are some good form design tools available, if you want to use Qt
take a look at BlackAdder[4].  For Tk there is SpecPython[5] and
wxWindows has wxDesigner[6] and BOA[7], GTK has Glade[8] I don't know of
any others, but a quick search on Google with the GUI name and 'Python'
should keep you busy for a while.

You can also use any Java IDE, then access the GUI you develop with
Jython[9].  This might be a good way to start if you want to port over
your existing Java application.

I also found this review of IDEs[10] while looking up some of the other
web pages.

[1] http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/python_GUI.html
[2] http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/
[3] http://www.anigui.org/