Python 2.2 Modules/Setup lies?

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 15:21:28 EST 2002

I am installing Python 2.2 from source on an OpenBSD machine and a
Solaris machine.

The build instructions indicate that you should:

  ./configure
  vi Modules/Setup
  make

When I come to edit Modules/Setup, I am somewhat confused, because
everything in it is commented out, including standard built-in modules
that are explicitly commented "on by default" but which appear to be
off by default - e.g. the following section of the file:

  # Modules that should always be present (non UNIX dependent):

  #array arraymodule.c    # array objects
  #cmath cmathmodule.c # -lm # complex math library functions
  #math mathmodule.c # -lm # math library functions, e.g. sin()
  #struct structmodule.c  # binary structure packing/unpacking

Why are these (and everything else in the file) commented out?