what I would like to see in python to make a better "glue" language (Newbie)

Anthony_Barker anthony_barker at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 12:34:39 EST 2002

martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) wrote in message >
> Adding modules is typically a two-stage process. First, a specific
> module should establish itself as the monopoly implementation on a
> certain field. Then, it can be considered for inclusion in the
> standard library.
>
> If you have any specific LDAP module in mind, I'd expect, as a
> prerequisite, that it is a distutils package. That should make
> installation very easy, and open doors to inclusion in "foreign"
> distributions. E.g. Linux distributors may include it. Also, there
> always was the plan of a Sumo distribution which includes all packages
> that atleast build successfully - volunteers to make this come true
> are still needed.

SUMO distro - sounds fun - kind of like the everything included linux
kernels that are floating around. Actually the ActiveState windows
distribution seems to be a bit of a "SUMO" distro.

> > 2. DNS really should be included in the base library, I emailed
> > Anthony Baxter and he replied, saying it was almost done.
> I completely agree.

> > 3. Telnet Library is great - including an SSH module would be a nice
> > addition.
>
> This is not trivial. To my knowledge, there is no SSH library that you
> could link. I don't know how difficult it is to implement a SSH module
> on top of OpenSSL.

Here is some code that could have wrappers built around:
1. Putty (a windows app with some base c code)
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/. others - such as
winscp (a delphi application) seem to have sucessfully written
wrapper classes around it. I don't know how portable it is though.

2.Have a look at Net::SSH::Perl - Perl client interface to Secure
Shell
http://rhumba.pair.com/ben/perl/net-ssh/
It is also available on CPAN.

> > 4. Include an SNMP implementation, there are several around, but a
> > pure python one as a library would be nice
>
> All such libraries are quite large, right? If so, chances for
> inclusion in the standard library are low, since I expect the user
> community for such a library is quite small. Nevertheless, bug the
> maintainers of those libraries for distutils support.

If there is a package that supports distutils. what is the best way to
get this done? Post to the python-dev mailing list?

Thanks for the feedback,

Anthony