help: Problem with cgi form

netvegetable deathtospam43423 at altavista.com
Fri Feb 22 18:09:47 EST 2002

I'm a beginner. How do I do this? It's probly very simple ......

I have a hidden input on a cgi form...

    print '<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME= "last_pos" VALUE=',last_byte_pos,'>'

I need the VALUE to be the  variable "last_byte_pos", but unfortunately
when I run the script for the first time the script crashes because it's
undeclared.

What subroutine do I use to check if last_byte_pos is undeclared, and
assign it a default value if it is?

--
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether
a man is wise by his questions."  Naguib Mahfouz

netvegetable at dingoblue.net.au