Web Hosting - one report

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Wed Feb 6 09:27:24 EST 2002

In article <283adf56.0202060503.6556b483 at posting.google.com>,
Kevin Dahlhausen <kdahlhaus at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I thought I had found a place at 'Hostdepartment.com'  $5/month for
>100Mb and a full shell. They have 1.6 installed.  You can compile your
>own python, but many modules do not build.  It turns out that they
>have disabled dynamic loading of modules from user accounts.  So if
>you have a swigged extension, python can load any shadow files, but
>the .so is never found.  That's a shame, as I was hoping to actually
>post an *answer* to this reoccuring question.  Personally, I need to
>be able to use extension modules - at least PIL, GD charts, etc.

Just use Panix.  $100/year for 50MB and a full shell.  It's pretty
cheap, but service/support is still excellent.  Current default version
of Python is 2.1.1, which reminds me to request an upgrade to 2.1.2 and
an install of 2.2.

You do have to add $50/year if you want your own domain name to be used.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"We should forget about small efficiencies, about 97% of the time.
Premature optimization is the root of all evil."  --Knuth