Python License Issues

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Feb 15 08:02:00 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1013768726.14741.python-list at python.org>,
 <christoforou at gaaros.com> wrote:

>What worries me is that the 'legal climate' of our times will hurt open
>source acceptance and small soft shops in general. For it seems to me that
>the recent escalation in legal actions against third party IP infringments
>are driving coorporate clients to seek indemnity from IP violations. In
>their (reasonable) view the cost of software is:
>
> Cost= ActualCostOfApplication
>+(ProbabilityOfLegalActionRelatingToApplication*SettlementAmount)

Your equation ignores the fact that SettleAmount is hardly the only
possible cost.  No matter what the indemnity, if software you rely on is
withdrawn due to a suit, you'll have to eat the cost of using another
software package.  Heck, if the software is withdrawn without a lawsuit
you'll still have to eat the cost -- and that is a major disadvantage of
commercial software.  You picks your poison and you takes your chances.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"usenet imitates usenet"  --Darkhawk