RFC -- HYGIENIC MACROS IN PYTHON

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Feb 6 11:56:13 EST 2002

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:56:46 -0500, Justin Sheehy <justin at iago.org> wrote:
>philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:
>
>> And what if I decide that for my particular application, that's just
>> the behaviour I want?
>
>I wonder why your reaction is so strong here.

In the past I've been fucked about by languages which mandate that
there is One True Way to write software, and all other ways are forbidden.
If I wanted that attitude I would code in Pascal not Python.

Any programming system that takes this approach is one that I simply
am not interested in learning to use.

>> Or do you think that you know better than all the users of your
>> macro system, even though you've not met them and don't know
>> anything about the software they are writing?
>
>At this point, he does know that, since he is presumably the only user.

But he won't be if his system gets popular.

--
===== Philip Hunt ===== philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk =====
Herbivore, a zero-effort email encryption system. Details at: