Defending the Python lanuage...

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Fri Feb 1 17:53:50 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:03:13 -0800, Cliff Wells
<logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote:

>True, to a certain extent.  Probably most do like I do: I see a review (in
>Python's case I saw it in Linux Journal sometime in the mid-90's) and they
>decide to evaluate it on a test application.  While this may not be the
>most thorough research, it's probably the most practical, given the
>time-crunch most of us operate under.  The unfortunate truth is that very
>few individuals can make a real evaluation of a language in a short period.
> I doubt that these studies amount to much as there is obviously more to a
>language than the language itself.  Even if a language is the best ever and
>studies show that it increases productivity 2000% (on what? developing
>quicksort routines?), it's worthless if it can't do X and we need X.  For

Sometimes this X is: 'It should be ready next friday'. So there's no
time to invest in changing programming language now, even if it would
be be a good long term choice.

There seems to be no opportunity to introduce a change since the work
must go on.

How to handle this kind of resistance?

Anton.