HTTP state management without cookies?

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Tue Feb 19 18:09:38 EST 2002

You need to use a server side session with a unique session identifier
passed in the URL. Basically when a user visits your page you create a
random string (20 characters long is probably long enough) and create a
record in a database or file recording that string. You also ensure that
EVERY link on the page has this random string tagged on to it:

nextpage.py?s=xdf98dsyfisdof

Every time the user clicks a link the new page will "know" who they are
by looking at the session passed in the URL. You can also send this
unique identifier as a hidden form field whenever you ask the user to
fill in a form.

As far as storing information goes you need some kind of server side
storage mechanism that can "remember" things about the user who's
session is xdf98dsyfisdof - a good way of doing this is by pickling a
python data structure and calling the file "xdf98dsyfisdof.sess" or
something like that.

HTH

Simon