Problems with Tkinter based scripts under emacs...

Rod Stephenson mrstephenson at dof.se
Fri Feb 15 05:53:37 EST 2002

I'm having problems with emacs on win95 when running a python script
that invokes Tkinter. I'm using the bash shell under emacs, and
python-mode, so that I can start up an interpreter which appears in a
comint buffer and issue commands. Theres no problem with regular
python scripts, and its a nice environment for edit-run-debugging.

I've just started using Tkinter and I find the following: The script
runs fine, but when I quit the application, the shell just hangs and I
don't get the >>> prompt back. I end up having to kill the process and
restart the interpreter.

Actually I'm not sure whether this is specifically an emacs issue. I
find a similar thing happens when I use idle - after running a Tkinter
based script the shell window no longer responds, though I can
continue to reload the scripts after editing from the editor window
using the menus or keyboard accelerators. There is some discussion in
the FAQ on not using Tkinter with pythonWin.

Everything works just fine in the DOS command line shell, but this is
so annoying to use! Any hints about setting up emacs or idle to cope
with Tkinter would be much appreciated.