just a moron trying to get python working on win98 and personal web server

Wayne Pierce wayne at mishre.com
Mon Feb 11 20:18:00 EST 2002

> RE: just a moron trying to get python working on win98 and personal web
> server

If you say so...

> i am trying to get python to work on my MS personal web server ( which
> is supposed to support python in a web url ).
>
> what do i need to do?

Usually you need to make sure your Python scripts (.py files) are in the
/cgi-bin/ directory and you have permissions to execute them.  Then at
the top of the file put:

#! c:/python/python.exe -u

Where /python/ is the directory you installed Python at; this should be
the very first line in the program, with nothing before the #! .

> i have set the PATH in autoexec.bat.

When you call the script from the web server it usually looks in the
/cgi-bin/ directory, so the PATH isn't used.  Unless PWS does something
completely non-standard, which wouldn't be too surprising.

> is there an apache alternative.

Apache does run on Windows, you might also want to look at Xitami (there
were a few emails today about this same question on Xitami).  Apache
might be a bit of overkill for Win98, but Xitami should work well.
--
Wayne Pierce
web: http://www.mishre.com
email: wayne at mishre.com