PIL vs eps

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Wed Feb 27 14:16:13 EST 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Robin Becker wrote:

> In article <mailman.1014824145.17587.python-list at python.org>, Gustavo
> Cordova <gcordova at hebmex.com> writes
> >>
> >> I think this is a pure ghostscript problem, but PIL fails to
> >> convert eps to other formats and in fact it seems that gs
> >> won't create any output without a showpage at least somewhere.
> >>

> >Isn't "showpage" the postscript command to render
> >all the code that's been processed?
> >
> >-gustavo
> >
> yes, but most eps files don't seem to have a show page and thus
> ghostscript doesn't seem to render anything. The EPSPlugin seems to pass
> the data to ghostscript, but a client reports errors with .eps. When I
> do the gs command handomatically I get no file. If I add in a showpage
> just before the final restore I at least get the converted image/ppm
> etc.

Forgive me if I'm totally off my rocker, but I think by definition eps
files should *not* have a showpage and it is technically correct that
nothing gets rendered unless you have a showpage command. EPS is
"encapsulated postscript" - postscript that you intend to encapsulate or
embed in another document, so showpage would muck things up.

-Dave