Python 2.2 <-> Solaris 2.6 installation errors

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Mon Feb 18 09:56:04 EST 2002

Chris,

Thanks for your note.

> I checked the log you posted in sourceforge bug log and
> compared it to mine.  You are clearly getting a lot further
> along the 'make install' step than I am hence I must be
> doing something wrong.

> Basically I disabled the exception handling around the
> module import in the setup.py to get a more meaningful
> error message and got something equivalent to the following:

I've considered something similar to see what distutils
may be doing.  I had already tweaked LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I'm a little frustrated (though not much) that I've been
able to install Python 1.5.x through 2.1.x on this machine
using the simple boilerplate (configure, make, make install),
but now have to dig into the installation scripts to
figure out what's breaking.  Also the errors don't
show up until the end of 'make install' -- a 10 minute
wait for each iteration.

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon Research