Java vs Python Benchmarks: Java is faster

Anders Dahlberg andda715 at student.liu.se
Fri Feb 1 14:40:51 EST 2002

<brueckd at tbye.com> skrev i meddelandet
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Anders Dahlberg wrote:
>
> > could re-run them without it. Maybe the low number of replies > is
> > because it's not suprising that a semi-compiled-to-native program is >
> > faster?
> >
> > well, but why would you want to compare interpreted java with python?
>
> Well for one, it'd be nice to be a little closer to comparing apples to
> apples (how fast a VM can interpret and execute the bytecodes).

Somewhat valid point (IMO that is)

>Secondly,
> I was very suprised that, with a JIT, Java was only meagerly faster than
> Python.

Well, python is written in c or something equivalent right?

>I was expecting an order of magnitude faster for most stuff,

object allocation (java need it alot)...

>so I
> was curious to know how slow Java was without the JIT. Finally, even
> though Java and Python are wildly different in many ways, knowing the
> interpreted vs. JIT'ed speeds might give a little insight into the
> potential benefits of a Python JIT.

I don't really know if python needs a jit, it would probably not harm
python, but is it really worth the effort?

> If I was really really interested in the Python-Java debate I'd go do the
> tests myself, but since I'm just sorta curious I was asking Bryan in the
> hopes that he still had the tests setup and it'd be easy to re-run them.
>
> > code during run-time? If you were to compare interpreted java with
python
> > should you then compare interpreted c++ with java (same ballpark)?
>
> Sure, why not?

well probably because you IMO should compare tools "as they are intended to
be used" (hope you understand what I'm getting at here).

> -Dave

/Anders