[OSX] milter won't build

bob ackerman rdacker at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 3 20:15:11 EST 2002

On Sunday, February 3, 2002, at 03:43  PM, Steven Majewski wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2002, rdack wrote:
>
>> trying to build milter module 0.3.9 on OSX 10.1.2 i get this error:
>> cc -bundle -undefined suppress build/temp.darwin-5.2-Power
>> Macintosh-2.1/miltermodule.o -lmilter -lsm -o
>> build/lib.darwin-5.2-Power Macintosh-2.1/milter.so
>> /usr/bin/ld: -undefined error must be used when -twolevel_namespace is
>> in effect
>> error: command 'cc' failed with exit status 1
>>
>> is it telling me i need  an '-undefined error' option? or that it
>> doesn't like the 'undefined suppress' option?
>
> I don't know what the milter module is, but:
>
> OSX gcc/ld doesn't like that combination. You can use either of:
> 	-twolevel_namespace -undefined error
> 	-flat_namespace -undefined suppress
> But I think the defaults are:
> 	-undefined error
> 	-twolevel_namespace
> So, you get generate that error with only one of those switches
> with the wrong default for the other.
>
> Python modules on OSX is usually built with:
> 	-bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress
>

>> where is the 'cc -bundle' command set up? can i edit it?
>> is it possible that it finished and the module is ready to go?
>
> Is milter using distutils ? i.e. is it using a 'setup.py' file to
> build and install, or does it use a Makefile ?
>
> What command did you use to build it?
>
> (Distutils should get the build command right, but if you have more
> than one version of Python installed, you need to make sure that
> you're running the version that you're going to link to. )

i used setup.py. so how do i change the default or override it? i am
pretty sure only python2.1 is installed.

>> where would the milter module end up after install?
>> what will its name be?
>> are python modules '.pyo' files? do they end up in the
>> /usr/local/lib/python2.1 directory?
>
> If it's a dynamic shared lib, it'll usually be an .so file, and it
> should usually install in the site-packages directory, likely in
> /usr/local/lib/python[v.n]/ . ( It might also go in plat-darwin*/
> or somewhere else in that tree. )

i see the _pg.so module i installed there, so that's fine. and i believe
there is no milter there since 'setup.py build' had that error.

> Are you building 2.1.2 ? or just 2.1 ?
> You probably ought to stick to 2.1.2 or 2.2 on OSX.

i guess it has been awhile since i installed the latest version of python.
  i'll try 2.2.

Thanks for the reply.