Equivalent of Perl chomp?

Thomas Bellman bellman at lysator.liu.se
Sat Feb 2 11:20:19 EST 2002

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm just lazy, but why not process

>     for line in file(filename).read().split("\n"):

> under such circumstances?

Because

a) I don't like reading entire files into memory before processing,
   when not needed.  I'm not very fond of wasting memory.  Too many
   programs do that already, and I don't feel the need to contribute
   to that.

b) It is more complicated to read and understand.  'for line in
   fp.xreadlines()' is immediately understandable, while your
   variant takes a couple of seconds to understand the full
   implications of.

--
Thomas Bellman,   Lysator Computer Club,   Linköping University,  Sweden
"Don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ! bellman @ lysator.liu.se