Why Python is like BASIC ... java "vs" python

Dan Shafer dan at danshafer.com
Sun Feb 17 01:57:26 EST 2002

The original poster's point is no less valid because of the very
accurate statements made here about the enormous differences between
Python and BASIC. (My gosh, I'd never go back to Basic after using
Python for even a little while!)

But Python does have some of the features that make Basic a great
beginning programming language. In fact, I think it's a much *better*
language for first-timers than Basic because the syntax is much, much
cleaner and more consistent and because the built-in stuff is so
darned powerful and easily accessible.