ActivePython and wxPython

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Feb 8 15:23:28 EST 2002

Greg Krohn wrote:

> "Andrew" <anon at anon.com> wrote in message
> news:RiH88.37389$Jq.1973082 at news2.calgary.shaw.ca...
> > Hello,
> >
> > Sorry if this question is inappropriate for this newsgroup, but I was
> > wondering if there are known problems using wxPython with ActivePython?  I
> > try to run the first example (from www.wxpython.org) in the wxPython
> > tutorial but get a crash when I attempt to create a wxFrame object.  I
> > stepped into the code and it's failing on an 'apply' call.
>
> Yeah, that happens. If you try it from the command line you should be fine
> (i.e. 'c:\>python myscript.py'). I _think_ this has something to do with
> Pythonwin's GUI getting in a fight with wxPython's GUI. Again, I _think_
> they both use MFC.

It is indeed a problem with the GUIs not cooperating.  This is a known problem
with running two different GUIs in the same process--just doesn't work too
well.  (The same applies to IDLE as well.)  The solution is to either use an IDE
that's capable of running scripts out-of-process (I think IDLE-fork does, and
probably most/all of the commercial Python IDEs), or else editing in the IDE and
then running from a DOS box (I do this all the time).

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International