Guido's intuition (was Re: typetesting, adaptation, typeclasses, ...)

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Sat Feb 2 20:40:12 EST 2002

Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> graced us by uttering:
> [Andrew Koenig]
>> It seems to be universal among programmers that they get hung up about
>> tiny syntax details until they get used to those details.  For example,
>> C and C++ programmers still argue about where to put the curly braces
>> in their programs.
>
> That's because they don't have Guido to force them to do it the right way:
>
> 	if (guido) {
> 		tab(indent);
> 	}

I was required to use BSD-style for school, but the "wasted" vertical
space offended my senses, so I settled on K&R. Never could understand
GNU or Whitesmith style, though. =)

BTW, less wasted v-space is one very attractive feature of Python.

My eyes just can't parse:

if ( some_condition() ) {
  {
    for (i = first_i();i <= 10; i++)
      {
        initialize_some_stuff();
        while ( some_other_condition() )
          {
            do_some_more_stuff()
          }
      }
  }

...yet I have no trouble parsing

if ( &some_condition ) {
    for $i (&first_i .. 10) {
        &initialize_some_stuff;
        &do_some_more_stuff while &some_other_condition;
    }
}

Imagine a "Lisp-style" indent!

if ( some_condition() ) {
    i = first_i();
    for (i = first_i(); i <= 10; i++) {
        initialize_some_stuff();
        while ( some_other_condition() ) {
            do_some_more_stuff() } } }

<Real-programmers-use-1TBS>-ly y'rs,
Tim Hammerquist
--
Note that by displacing from "I got confused" to "It got confused", the
programmer is not avoiding responsibility, but rather getting some analytical