Intel C/C ++ compiler for Linux for Pytrhon extension?

Mike Müller mmueller at dgfz.de
Thu Jan 24 14:45:20 EST 2002

I am going to port a numerically intensive application from windows to
Linux (RH). Right know the numeric part is a Python extension compiled
with MCVC (which in turn calls DF compiled FORTRAN 90 code).

I plan to use the Intel C/C++ compiler for Linux because it is
considerably faster than gcc. The CPU is a Pentium 4 for which this
complier is optimised.

Is it possible to write Python extension with the Intel C/C++ compiler
for Linux?
Since it is supposed to be source and binary compatible with gcc it
should.

If yes, are there any differences to the extension building process
with gcc?

Later on, I plan write some code in C++ using templates. Does this
compiler support this and can I use this C++ code in Python extension?

I have not found real useful links with google, so somebody might
share some experience or can point to resources.

Thanks

Mike