Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 14:21:55 EST 2002

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 19:50:44 +0100
Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:

> Mark McEahern wrote:
> > Hmm, I don't really understand how my car works.  I don't think that
has any
> > impact on my ability to be a safe driver, though.
>
> Comparing software and cars is never valid for two reasons:
>
> 1. There are more strict laws regarding public traffic dedicated
> to make life on public streets more safe.
>
> 2. People are willing to spend a lot of money for cars.

On point 2, I'd have to say that I've probably spent more on computers and
software than I have on cars.

But since we're starting a list:
3.  Cars are inherently open-source: anyone with knowledge and tools can
work on them.
4.  You don't have to close all your windows and restart your car after a
new passenger gets in.
5.  Installing a new stereo doesn't require upgrading your entire car.
6.  A single broken window probably won't make your car crash.
7.  The best cars are expensive, the best software is free*  ;-)

*Don't start Oleg!

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer