The (superlow)quality of software (was Re: Python Popularity: Questions and Comments)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Tue Jan 1 17:49:25 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 05:30:39PM -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
> Look at Unix, look at TCP/IP. Both fundamental technologies in supporting
> today's computing environment, both approximating thirty years old, both not
> really starting to achieve "market dominance" until they were twenty years
> down their development tracks. It simply takes a long time for a technology
> to mature to mass usability.

   Neither UNIX nor TCP/IP are suitable for mass use. They are here by
accident, not because they are mature.
   Just a few points.
   UNIX is old and outdated; there are many ideas that still does not
appear in the UNIX world; UNIX has usability problems; UNIX lacks standard
desktop and office suite.
   TCP/IP is vulnerable to many kinds of attacks; it lacks QoS
(bandwidth-on-demand, e.g., or guaranteed connectivity).
   (I am playing a devil advocate here, of course.)

> <dig>... and what do Microsoft have that's twenty years old and worth
> keeping? ... </dig>

   The most important thing - the name. (If you follow my posts you know I
hate it, because I am afraid of its power. But it's still *the* name).

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru