Converting "normal" functions into generators

Chris Wright caw at cs.mu.oz.au
Mon Jan 14 06:30:24 EST 2002

I'd like to be able to convert any arbitary function into a generator,
"yield"-ing some constant after each statement.

for the simple case:

def easy(x):
	y = x / 2
	z = y / 3 + 5
	if y > 10:
		return y
	else:
		return x

would turn into:

def easy(x):
	y = x / 2
	yield AConstantValue
	z = y / 3 + 5
	yield AConstantValue
	if y > 10:
		return y
	else:
		return x
A simple regexp substitution might be difficult:

eg:

def plain(x):
	d = { 1 : "one",
	      2 : "two"
	    }
	y = x + \
	    1

could be tricky

I want to do this so that I can have a collection of functions and call
them one at a time, and have them execute one statement at a time.
Threads don't give me the control I need.

Is there a sensible way to do this? (I've read the library references
regarding the modules that let me play with the AST of a piece of python
code...and I was hoping for a more simple solution!)

cheers and thanks

Chris Wright