Python MSVC++ binaries considered evil

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Jan 27 23:12:53 EST 2002

[Tim Roberts]
> Microsoft introduced a new style of import library in Visual C++ 6.0,
> and the Win32 Pythons ship with the new style import libraries.  The new
> style is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the old style import libraries, but
> they are not downward compatible: they cannot be used with Borland C++,
> nor even with Visual C++ 5.0.
>
> So, it's not the .DLLs that are broken, but rather the .LIBs that get you
> there.

Many VC5 users reported that the VC6-compiled Python distributions worked
fine with their VC5 compiles after they installed the last service pack for
VC5 (I believe that was SP3).  The only hint about that I ever found on MS's
website was a short and vague statement about "binary compatibility issues"
fixed in the last SP.