Autocoding project proposal.

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 28 19:34:30 EST 2002

phil hunt:

> Say, instead, you want to count the number of words, or lower-case letters
> in foo.txt? How would you code that in your pseudo-English? or in
> Applescript? Consider: "easy things should be easy, and hard things
> should be possible".

   AppleScript and the underlying Apple Events technology includes various
types of "Object Specifier" and ways to combine them. There are ways to talk
about ranges, collections, and filtered collections with expressions like

the count of the words of file 'foo.txt'

   or

the first character in the front window whose font is "Geneva"

   It is actually quite interesting. I don't have a recent enough Mac to
play with this so am relying upon descriptions in "Ultimate Mac Programming"
by Dave Mark, 1994.

   Neil