Ruby Impressions

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Fri Jan 11 15:13:39 EST 2002

Phil Tomson wrote:

> >2. Must be true multiplatform with ports to Windows, Linux and MacOS.
>
> Ruby runs on Windows, Linux and MacOS including OSX (BTW: there are
some
> nice Cocoa bindings for Ruby now - very nice for scripting OSX apps)

Does Ruby support threads on Windows yet? (not that the Ruby
microthreading model impresses me very much)

> Extensions: It is very easy to extend Ruby with C (and it even works
with
> the Garbage collection :)

And the trade-off is that it requires a long jump hack.

> Seems to be a matter of opinion - I certainly find Ruby to be clean
and
> clear.

Ruby borrows too many idioms from Perl to be considered clear. For
example, the predefined variables and post-fix if are ugly as hell.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ruby is good and I would definitely use it
if Python didn't exist. But Python does exist so...

Cheers,
Brian