Validating EMailAdresses for syntactical correctness

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Thu Jan 24 18:11:40 EST 2002

Cameron Laird wrote:
> ... and even then, there are no guarantees.  You can go all
> the way through Level 5, and *still* find a bogus address
> on your hands.  Make sure your customer/client/supervisor
> understands that.
>
> E-mail connectivity is only weakly about syntax, despite the
> eagerness of many practitioners to show off their REs.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that my own personal preference is to avoid
all this RE-based validation crap and just generate an email to the supplied
address that contains a URL that when navigated to confirms the validity of
the address.

That's much more straightforward, imho, and avoids all this, "What are the
valid tld's?" mess.  Just take whatever the user supplies and send them a
confirmation email.

But, to each his own,

Cheers,

// mark