Python MSVC++ binaries considered evil

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 13:13:55 EST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:43:26 -0500
Tim Peters wrote:
> > This is of course the classic problem with the Windows platform:
everyone
> > uses (or believes everyone else does) Microsoft tools so everyone who
> > doesn't want to drop $$$ for them is left out (or at least left
> > looking for pre-built binaries).
>
> Yup, that's how it is -- don't look at me, I just work here <wink>.

You actually have to _work_??? <looking at Tim sideways>.

> > Yeah, and it would only add to the confusion to have two separate
Windows
> > ports :P
>
> The Cygwin port is very much a Windows port too, and is even simpler for
end
> users than using gcc on Linux (Cygwin's setup program handles everything,
> including downloading the Python source).  Not that "a typical Windows
user"

It's been a couple of years since I played with Cygwin.  I had too many
issues with it in the past.  Maybe I'll have to look at it again.

> would have the foggiest notion of how to use the bash shell afterwards,
but
> "simple" is a relative term (try to remember just how long it took to
learn
> how to use gcc on Linux -- I've got a sister who's been trying for three
> years just to log in <wink>).

And boy are her fingers tired <tatata bing>

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer

"Then with your new power you'll accomplish all sorts of cool stuff
 in no time, and We'll All Be Sorry.  At that point you can either
 gloat a bit, and then relent, or go ahead and send the robot army
 after us." - Quinn Dunkan