Faster display of text

Salim Zayat zayats at red.seas.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 18 10:32:25 EST 2002

Hey there.  I am writing this tree-drawing application in tkinter which
is meant to display arabic text.  The only problem is that it is
extremely slow in printing all the arabic text to the Canvas widget which
does all the displaying.  When I replace the arabic text with regular
English strings, it works markedly faster.  Is this a problem with my
encoding of it (currently \x escape encoded) or is it merely in Python's
manner of displaying other languages?

For what it's worth, I am never sure in the program whether the text I am
to display will be English or Arabic, so I just pass it straight through
every time to the canvas:

canvas.create_text(xpos, ypos, text=whatever that chunk is).

Is this too inefficient?

Sorry about all the writing.  Thanks!

Salim