why is os.getcwd() printing the path in all caps on win2k?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Tue Jan 22 02:58:26 EST 2002

[sameer]
> can anyone tell me why os.getcwd() prints out the path in all caps on
> win2k at least?

I cannot, but perhaps Microsoft can:  Python's os.getcwd() calls Microsoft's
_getcwd() on Windows, and that's all it does (apart from wrapping the result
unaltered in a Python string object).  On Win98SE, I get "the expected" case
mix, so maybe it's a Win2K thing.  Or maybe you happened to be in a
directory all of whose path components were uppercase.  Or maybe it's
influenced by an obscure registry setting.  Or maybe ...

ms-doesn't-show-us-their-source-code-either-ly y'rs  - tim