Moving Python between machines

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Thu Jan 3 12:45:59 EST 2002

On 03-Jan-2002 Doug Farrell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded, compiled and installed Python-2.2 on one of my
> Solaris 2.6 Sparc machines and it is working fine. I'd like to move
> that installation over to another Solaris 2.6 Sparc machine so I can
> use Python2.2 over there, how can I do this easily? I don't have all
> of the development tools on the second machine, so I can't
> configure/make/install again. I just want to copy what's necessary
> from the first machine to the second to get Python2.2 running. Any
> help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

The way many package creation tools do it is by passing a DESTDIR option to the
make install.  This will install into DESTDIR as if it were the root (/).  Then
you just tar it up, copy to the new system and untar into that systems root (/).

mkdir /tmp/python-install
make install DESTDIR=/tmp/python-install
cd /tmp
tar cvf python-2.2.install.tar