[NEWBIE] ftplib error?

Bruce Dykes bkd at graphnet.com
Wed Jan 16 09:57:41 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 08:42
Subject: Re: [NEWBIE] ftplib error?

> > Is this an authentication failure? That shouldn't be happening because
the
> > interactive ftp session works just fine. Does ftplib not understand that
> an
> > IP address is equivalent to a name? That shouldn't be happening either.
> >
> > What's going on here?
>
> Don't want to seem simple-minded, but does your interactive FTP client
work
> from the same machine you are running the Python script on? The error
> message seems pretty unequivocal: the FTP server isn't prepared to accept
> your request.
>
> Given that you're using private IP addresses, maybe there's a firewall
> component between your machine and the server that's rejectong your FTP
> connection?

The IP addy, userid and password have all been changed to protect the
guilty, but yes, the ftp client (Windows' default client) is running on the
same machine the code is running on, and the userid, password, directory,
and ip addy strings are all exactly the same between the interactive session
and the scripting code. All the printed server responses in the interactive
session look to be quite standard, though the unprinted protocol exchange
may have some funky goings on.

> Otherwise, replace your host address with some known-accessible public
host
> and see what gives.

Yep...I just needed to rule out anything quirky in my code or with the
library, and I wasn't sure about the traceback...

thanks
bkd