PostgreSQL and Apache bindings for Python (was Confirming PostGreSQL Use and Mod-*)

Stefan Schwarzer s.schwarzer at ndh.net
Sat Jan 19 07:33:39 EST 2002

Hello Ale

skoria wrote:
> I have to set up a script that reads from a database and works through
> a form interface. As far as I know, if you want python to work with
> postgresql, is PoPy considered the best implementation? Is there
> another way?

There are various bindings for Python <-> PostgreSQL, take a look at
the database SIG's page: http://www.python.org/sigs/db-sig/ and
especially http://www.python.org/topics/database/modules.html .

> I'm also thinking of using either mod-apache or mod-snake (or zope, if
> I can, but I doubt it). Can anyone say what the difference between

There's also mod_python (http://www.modpython.org).

Zope is much more than (or even not ;-) ) an adapter for Python execution
in Apache.

And then there are several web application frameworks. Apart from Zope
I know of Webware (http://webware.sourceforge.net) and Skunkweb
(http://skunkweb.sourceforge.net). Perhaps also Twisted
(http://twistedmatrix.com/) is worth a look.

Stefan