HyperCard footnote (was: Autocoding project proposal.)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Jan 28 13:58:05 EST 2002

In article <slrna5affq.a20.philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk>,
phil hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
  .  [lots of stuff] [I mean, *lots* of stuff] [some
  of it about AppleScript, which is indeed distinctive,
  though not in a way I can relate coherently to the
  original poster's description] ..
>I've never used Hypercard but it was clearly a significant and well-liked
>program. I wonder why Apple are dropping it? That they are doing so is
>a reasonn to use open source software wherever possible, at least on data
>you want to keep for some time.
Probably less than for any of these other apparently-similar
episodes.  Yes, one reason to go with open-source is so a
single-source can't suffocate you.  In the case of HyperCard,
though, there are alternate vendors with reasonably-close-to-
drop-in implementations (see <URL: http://www.metacard.com/ >,
for example).

Apple's product placement decisions--aaauugh; let's discuss
that another time.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net