What is the number of the PEP for adding indention to Python?

Zoo Keeper candiazoo at mediaone.net
Fri Jan 4 15:08:59 EST 2002

Can't get technical and site documentation... but for what it is
worth, it has to do with the way the human eye (and I believe it is
also a cultural phenomenon to some extent (chinese, vs. hebrew vs.
English/romance languages) and brain expect to visualize whatever it
is you are studying.  I took a class in document design.  Much time
was spent on the fact that the human eye does NOT like to move much,
DOES follow a pattern of 'seek and destroy' (so to speak :) and does
need whitespace.  The eye follows a pattern when scanning a page (or
window) (top to bottom, left to right in our case) and also is
automatically DRAWN to objects, text, whatever, that is different and
not continuous to the surrounding text.  Indentation suggests (whether
consciously or subconsciously) that the lines following the previous,
unindented line, are somehow related but in a special way (not just
continual text, but a sub-text).

	"I bet you are reading this and expect it to be some
	sort of quote from someone else?  No?"

I bet your eyes were drawn to the previous sentences.  Why?
I also believe that this is still the pattern in languages that do NOT
run left to right, top to bottom (pattern = indentation, that is).

Mike

PS - There is a good book called "Looking good in print" that covers
some of this in a very simple/basic way.