Text to Speech

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Tue Jan 29 11:18:09 EST 2002

Le 29/01/02 ? 16:03, puCK at supereva.it_ écrivit:
> Hi all.. I've to interact via python with 3d modeling application [maybe
> Blender3D].  I've to create an avatar who reads a text file and react
> speaking it [with a text-2-speech engine I presume] and moving its lips, eyes
> etc etc
>
> I'm a phyton newbie... and I do not know how to start... anyone knowing where to find a text2speech library or some documented algorithms for
> converting a text files in phonems and to pass phonems to my avatar?

At least on Windows 2000 and onwords, a text-to-speec OLE control is part of
the system. And you can download other voices from the Microsoft website. I
have no idea, however, if this control is available for older versions of
Windows.

Using that control is then only approx. 5 lines of code from Python :) You'll
need Mark Hammond's win32 extensions to make use of the OLE control.

For the eyes and stuff, I *think* there's an API for the whole bunch which
should enable you to make animations. The API also has the concept of
"gestures" IIRC.

This is a Windows-only solution, however.

Here's a link to start:

    http://www.microsoft.com/reader/download_tts.asp

Good news: it's also supported on Win98+.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 9.6 °C      Wind: 3.4 m/s