Results of IDE post

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 17:46:16 EST 2002

Jeffrey Drake wrote:

> Why/Why not:
> Use python instead of c++
>         - I have concerns about being able to control python from
> python (and maintain speed). I can't have a
>                  python script doing something naughty taking out the
> entire IDE.

Good point... much better to have some C++ code do something
naughty and take out the entire machine. :-}

Seriously, this argument makes no sense to me. It's so much
easier and faster to write correct Python code than correct
C++ code, that personally I can't think of a single reason
to prefer C++ for any task that isn't compute-bound. (Other
than pointy-haired-boss issues, naturally.)

For reference, I've been working in Python for about two years,
and C++ for about ten.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"