Howto: install Tkinter in Linux

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Wed Jan 9 06:01:29 EST 2002

Did you compile your interpreter yourself? If you did, you just have to go
to the "Modules" sub-directory of your Python installation directory, edit
the file "Setup", spot the lines for the module "_tkinter" (just search
"_tkinter" in the file), specify the options and rebuild the interpreter.
You'll have to know where your tcl and tk libraries are, because you'll have
to specify the path for them in an option, but all the other options are
quite straightforward.
If you didn't compile your Python interpreter, I don't know where you can
get one with Tkinter support already enabled... Maybe there is one
somewhere, but IMHO, the best solution is still to compile it yourself.
HTH
 - eb -

a1h6pv$5b0$1 at www.csis.hku.hk...