Autocoding project proposal.

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Sun Jan 27 11:09:00 EST 2002

Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> writes:
> In the past week Kragen has released the  arrayfrombuffer package (really
> cool - I spent this afternoon playing with it when I was supposed to
> be working on something else, because I couldn't put it down),
> http://pobox.com/~kragen/sw/arrayfrombuffer/

Thanks!  I'm glad you like it.  What uses are you putting it to?

> a preliminary version of MetaPy,
> http://pobox.com/~kragen/sw/MetaPy-7.tar.gz (also available as .zip,
> .src.rpm, .noarch.rpm, and .win32.exe)

It has a long way to go --- and it'll probably be renamed to something
less arrogant.  The .rpm's kinda suck, too, I think.  :)

> plus a vastly more interesting bit of pythonic philosophical speculation:
> http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-tol/2002-January/000659.html

To be fair, while it's more clearly written and grounded in reality
than Timothy Rue's "VIC" speculations, it's also a lot less ambitious.
:) If Rue can get a little more grounded in reality, to the point that
he can recognize the difference between writing a paragraph of
nonsense and writing a paragraph of sense, he might well do things I
can only dream of!  But he'll have to learn to program first.

> Kragen thus is this week's winner in my 'Reasons that I love Open Source'
> competition.

That's really nice --- but I don't really think either of these
packages is on the same level as pretty much anything on
www.sweetcode.org.  There are lots of little bits of stuff on
kragen-hacks though ---
http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-hacks/2002-January/ ---
and eventually I'll write something *really* cool and post it there.
:) So far this month, I've posted two C hacks, eleven Python hacks,
one Python/C hack (the abovementioned arrayfrombuffer), and one Perl
hack.