Who needs exceptions (was Re: Two languages, too similar, competing in the same space.)

Michael Chermside mcherm at destiny.com
Wed Jan 2 16:07:26 EST 2002

> btw- what do "big applications written by people with some smarts"
> do when this global_emergency_ballast block of memory happens
> to be the one that got corrupted?  Let me take a wild guess.
> They get an access violation when they try to print a message
> and crap out. :-)

I thought we were talking about what to do when we run out of memory,

not when we corrupt it. When an unknown block of memory has been corrupted

there really isn't much of ANYTHING we can do about it safely... whatever

code you intend to run to fix it might be stored in the memory that was
corrupted.

Big applications written by people with some smarts probably don't
corrupt memory... hey, they may even be written in <a
href="python.org">a language</a> the doesn't allow arbitrary memory to
be corrupted. But they still have to deal with situations like running
out of resources.

-- Michael Chermside